Help keep pests out of the Hauraki Gulf
The Hauraki Gulf and its islands are a national treasure. Many Gulf islands have no animal pests and are sanctuaries for native plants and animals.
Pests can easily destroy our wildlife. The only way they can re-invade our islands is by stowing away in your gear or vessel.
Before you depart check for stowaway pests
- Check all gear for pests - rats, mice and ants.
Take extra care if you have Argentine ants where you live.
- Clean dirty gear especially footwear, removing soil and seeds.
- Pack food into sealed containers to keep pests out. Open supermarket bags are unacceptable.
Taking your own boat or kayak?
- Check your vessel for stowaway pests - rats, mice and ants.
Look for signs of rodents – droppings and gnawed items eg. wiring etc.
- Keep fresh bait and/or set traps on your vessel or where it’s stored.
0800 DOC HOT line (0800 362 468) – call to report sightings of pests on pest-free islands.
Dogs and other pets can easily injure or kill wildlife eg kiwi or ground nesting birds such as NZ dotterels. Pets are not permitted on conservation islands.
Rainbow skinks are also a pest – they are easily transported to islands in pot plants, soil and other garden materials.
- Camping and/or overnight gear offers an ideal home for stowaways as it is often stored for long periods. Before you visit please unpack and thoroughly check camping gear, sleeping bags etc for pests (especially mice, soil and seeds).
- Pack food into sealed containers to prevent attracting rodents into your gear. Supermarket bags are not acceptable.
What damage do pests do?
- RATS eat birds, eggs, reptiles and insects.
- MICE eat insects, small birds and reptiles.
- ARGENTINE ANTS can grow into large colonies with an aggressive appetite, killing native insects, birds and reptiles.
- WEED SEEDS can become a weed forest, smothering native plants.
- SOIL can contain plant diseases eg. kauri dieback disease. See www.kauridieback.co.nz
Which islands are free of pests?
The DOC managed islands in the Hauraki Gulf which are pest-free are:
- Motuihe, Motukorea (Browns), Tiritiri Matangi, Motuora, Little Barrier (Hauturu), Beehive, and the Mokohinau islands.
- Rangitoto & Motutapu (DOC managed) and Kaikoura islands are becoming pest-free with eradication operations well underway. Rakino Island is also pest-free.
Other islands are free of some pests so check for stowaways between islands to be sure you don’t transport pests around the Hauraki Gulf.
For more information visit the DOC website