History of Rangitoto Island Domain.
A brief timeline from 1890 - 1997
17 July 1890: Rangitoto Island became a Public Domain governed by the Corporation of the Borough of Devonport (Rangitoto Island Domain Board)
1897: First wharf built, and track to the summit. Landing Tax 1d per adult, 1/2d per child.
1911: Domain Board issued leases for campsites at 2 pounds per year. Mr Pooley appointed caretaker.
1917: Mr Pooley applied to build kiosk and tearooms.
1918: Sites for permanent buildings with approved sanitation let. Increase in baches: 1927:59, 1937:140
1926-33: Mt. Eden prisoners build road to Beacon End and Islington Bay, swimming pool at Rangitoto Wharf and hall at Islington Bay.
1935/36: Minister of Lands reviews legality of leases.
1937: No further leases for sites allowed. Existing leases given 20 years.
1957: 95 leases issued for 33 years. Strict conditions: no sale, exchange or rent, no additions or alterations. On death of lessee bach removed or demolished.
1970/ 80s: Significant number of baches demolished.
1990: Renewal of leases for 34 baches for a further 33 years. Moratorium on demolition during architectural and historical study.
1997: The three communities registered as Historic Areas by New Zealand Historic Places Trust. Formation of the Rangitoto Island Historic Conservation Trust.