Because other bach communities, which were prevalent throughout the country, have virtually
disappeared, the Rangitoto bach settlements are irreplaceable artefacts of New Zealand's
architectural, and social history and therefore are important beyond their locality.
Bach 38, a bungalow-style bach, has been restored by a dedicated team of volunteers from the
Rangitoto Island Historic Conservation Trust (RIHCT). It was built in 1927 for Walter Pooley,
the first caretaker on the island and then-owner of the shop and tearooms. The restoration
included re-roofing, re wiring, new weatherboards, new sections of floor and ceiling and was
designed to include all the original cabinetry and much of the bach's furnishings and décor.
Museum Bach Opening Hours
Opening times are from the first Fullers ferry of the day to the last ferry of the day.
Bach 38 Museum at Rangitoto Wharf will be open other days by appointment
How to get there